Monday 1 November 2010

Saturday with Paul Fox

I went to an introductory day with Paul Fox today to get an idea how it would be doing a teacher training course with him. It was good, the guy is very switched on and not at all airy-fairy yoga, like some people are, all tied up in the bullshit that can come along with ashtanga vinyasa yoga. I liked him.

Meeting new teachers does kinda show how if you stick to one then you can become a product of your teacher; I do feel as if I am a product of V, but by putting my feelers out there where I can it does feel a little naughty, but exciting at the same time, and it can give you a new perspective and boost if your practice is feeling a little stuck, or weary or you're just a bit disillusioned with it all....

It's a lot of money, this course.  And I don't really want to give V's course up for it. Not that I think I'd have to, but it'll be tight. I have a huge fear that I will not be able to teach a bunch of people, that my words will get all tied up in my throat, that I'll just go blank and not be able to speak, and it scares me. Does it scare me so much that I won't go for it? I'm not sure...

Anyway, the yoga today was different, it was the standard hatha style of class, as taught by a BWY teacher. I used to love going to these classes, they were very relaxing and made such a difference to my life. Very gentle to start, then a bit more challenging leading up to the main posture (cobra), then slowly relaxing back down. I often used to fall asleep in savasana! It was quite hard on my knees though and they killed by the end of the day. I think it was a combination of the return to step aerobics and too much yoga this week, damn knees...

I think what I need to ask myself is whether I want to teach this type of hatha? Or Ashtanga Vinyasa, or Ashtanga Krama? And which route would be the best one for me.. Paul did say one thing though, that 6 days a week ashtanga vinyasa for 2 years is a sure way to bugger up your body, that such a high level of repetition is no good for you! I think I agree...

No comments:

Post a Comment