Sunday 27 March 2011

A week in yoga...

It feels like this has been a long week, but not in a bad way, in fact it's been great, especially with a few days off to enjoy the sun, which, lets face it, has been a long time coming.

I was really looking forward to Monday's mysore practice and luckily it didn't disappoint. My energy levels were high, so managed it with ease, not like last week's, tg. Physically, my knees have been relatively good, yeah they get an air build-up in them in some postures which needs to expel in others causing some clicking but no pain. I've been trying the padmasana postures too, following on from what LM said about every day have new possibilities. Not sure yet whether this is a good thing for them long term, but I'm not pushing too much. My left hamstring is really tight and I get a sensation, not quite a pain, when I stretch, not sure what's going on there, but I'm working on trying to engage the front of my leg to allow the stretch more in the hamstring and using Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) by pressing the heels down in seated forward bends to release the hamstring more which seems to work. My baddhakonasana using PNF is also still working nicely! I can bind most of the time now in supta k, but sometimes this is at the detriment to my ankles being completely crossed, however, it's getting there. It was also good to see D at practice, he hasn't been for a while, his boyish enthusiam exudes good energy!

My teaching before class is getting stronger too, adjustments are coming more easily but I could do with more guidance in adjusting safely. So I'm going to try to get to a Brian Cooper workshop, hopefully sometime in April.

I cooked on Tuesday, chicken korma Maddha Jaffrey-style, mmmmm...

Wednesday I took a leisurely drive over for a late session at Yoga Haven, Ma teaching, Mi was practicing in the corner! I don't really see my Yoga Haven (hot yoga) practices in the same way as I see my ashtanga practice. I guess because the YH is never the same, but MY ashtanga practice is all MINE! With no-one interfering with it! I don't care so much about the posture in HY and just about the overall experience I guess..

Thursday had my led class with V. Lovely hot room made for some nice practice. I tucked myself away in the corner and it was quite meditative. I took some more photos of K in more postures to try and finish my collection of drawings for my practice sheets.

Friday I got a lift over to J's mysore class at the Buddhist Centre, a few of us there from Cov. It was a fun and energetic class. My energy was high and I found myself coming through to sit much smoother without such a "bounce" on the mat before I straighten my legs to sit!! (Although for people practicing jump-to-sits, the bounce does help in the short term!) I'm also trying to jump more up into a mini-handstand before jumping back, so like up then back, which seems to be working, although I can't see what I'm actually doing, so it would be helpful to get hold of a video camera to work on this aspect.. We got a take-away and went back to K's for a bit of a 'last supper' before she left for Finland/NZ. Sad that she's leaving..

Saturday I went to Harlestone for my BWY day. OMG, jam-packed full of info on A&P, I don't know how I'm ever going to remember all of it!! 3 students also started us off on our talks and leading the group through practices. They did really well. I don't have mine until June which I'm a bit disappointed about, I'm looking forward to doing the talk through and the lecture! (Believe it or not!)

Sunday, no practice. Need to rest, also have LH. Have so much homework to do for PF's course I need to crack on with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment